IEC 60335-2-27:2019 is available as IEC 60335-2-27:2019 RLV
which contains the International Standard and its Redline version, showing all changes of the technical content compared to the previous edition.IEC 60335-2-27:2019 deals with the safety of electrical appliances incorporating emitters for exposing the skin to optical radiation (wavelength 100 nm to 1 mm), for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Battery-operated appliances and other DC supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply appliances, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated appliances when operated in the battery mode.
As far as practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons using the appliances in tanning salons, beauty parlours and similar premises or at home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities;
– IEC 60598-1 is applicable as far as is reasonable.
This standard does not apply to
– appliances for skin or hair care (IEC 60335-2-23);
– sauna heating appliances and infrared cabins (IEC 60335-2-53);
– cosmetic and beauty care appliances incorporating lasers and intense light sources (IEC 60335-2-113)
– appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
– appliances that use UV radiation for purposes other than tanning the skin;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This sixth edition cancels and replaces the fifth edition published in 2009, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– aligns the text with IEC 60335-1, Ed 5, and its Amendments 1 and 2;
– luminous transmission has been defined (3.1.102);
– requirements for testing parts of the appliance that are operated unattended are added (30.2).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.
Keywords: Tanning, Tanning bed