IEC 61332:2016(E) specifies classification rules for soft ferrite materials used in inductive components (inductors and transformers) fulfilling the requirements of the electronic industries. This document addresses the following issues for ferrite suppliers and users:
- cross-reference between materials from multiple suppliers;
- assistance to customers in understanding the published technical data in catalogues when comparing multiple suppliers;
- guidance to customers in selecting the most applicable material for each application;
- setting of nomenclature for IEC standards relating to ferrite;
- establishing uniform benchmarks for suppliers for performance in new development of materials.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) deleted "c" rank from subclass from Table 3, because of too large power loss density;
b) added "a-wide" rank in subclasses PW3, PW4 and PW5 in Table 3;
c) changed "B" of PW3 class from 100 mT to 200 mT; "B x f" and "power loss density" have also been changed;
d) changed "B" of PW4 class from 50 mT to 100 mT; "B x f" and "power loss density" have also been changed.