IEC 61892-3:2019 is applicable to electrical equipment in mobile and fixed offshore units including pipeline, pumping or "pigging" stations, compressor stations and single buoy moorings, used in the offshore petroleum industry for drilling, production, accommodation, processing, storage and offloading purposes.
It applies to all installations, whether permanent, temporary, transportable or hand-held, to AC installations and DC installations without any voltage level limitation. Referenced equipment standards may give voltage level limitations.
This document specifies requirements such as those concerning
– enclosures, with regard to material, marking (nameplates and labels), ventilation, earthing, EMC and short-circuit rating of components, and
– specific requirements related to use in an offshore unit, such as
• generators and motors,
• switchgear and control gear assemblies,
• instrumentation of power sources,
• semiconductor converters,
• secondary cells and batteries,
• communication equipment,
• control and instrumentation, and
• accessories for accommodation and similar areas.
This document does not apply to
– fixed equipment for medical purposes,
– electrical installations of tankers, and
– control of ignition sources other than those created by electrical equipment.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2012. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the previous voltage limitations have been removed;
b) Clause 4 has been completely rewritten, giving general requirements as to relevant electrical equipment;
c) requirements concerning pyrotechnic fault current limiters have been added;
d) requirements as to gas insulated switchgear have been added;
e) the requirement concerning the isolation of supply to galley has been moved to IEC 61892-2;
f) requirements concerning control and instrumentation have been rewritten, based on changes in IEC 61892-2.