IEC 60598-2-4:2017 is available as IEC 60598-2-4:2017 RLV
which contains the International Standard and its Redline version, showing all changes of the technical content compared to the previous edition.IEC 60598-2-4:2017 specifies requirements for portable general purpose luminaires for indoor and/or outdoor use (e.g. garden use), other than handlamps, designed to be used with or incorporating electrical light sources on supply voltages not exceeding 250 V.
This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 1997. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- alignment with IEC 60598-1;
- modification of the scope, classification and requirements to cover portable luminaires for both indoor and outdoor applications, by introducing the requirements already listed in IEC 60598-2-7;
NOTE In this edition of IEC 60598-2-4 all requirements listed in IEC 60598-2-7 have been incorporated. As a consequence, IEC 60598-2-7 will be withdrawn after publication of this standard.
- modification of the scope to cover all electrical light sources (it was previously limited to tungsten filament, tubular fluorescent and other discharge lamps);
- introduction of the symbol for luminaires which are other than ordinary, but suitable for indoor applications only (e.g. luminaire using PVC cable);
- modification in the detail of test to clarify that the stability test on an inclined plane (see 4.7.3) shall be carried out with the light source(s) in place;
- modification of the minimum degree of protection against dust and moisture for portable luminaires for outdoor use from IPX3 to IPX4 (see 4.5.2); as a consequence, the requirements for cable entry position, as given in IEC 60598-2-7:1982, 7.6.3 were deleted as they are covered by IPX4;
- modification of the requirements for the acceptance criteria of plug and socket outlet;
- modification of the IP test requiring the most unfavourable of the overturned positions to cover all classes (and not only class II luminaires as in 7.13.1 of IEC 60598-2-7:1982).