IEC 61020-1:2009 provides consistency in detail specifications for electromechanical switches by specifying the terminology, symbols, test methods and other necessary information. Switches covered by this specification:
- are devices which open, close, or change the connection of a circuit by the mechanical motion of conducting parts (contacts);
- have a maximum rated voltage of 480 V;
- have a maximum rated current of 63 A.
This second edition constitutes a technical revision and includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- The requirements of the IEC 60512 series of standards have been integrated.
- Other necessary information concerning switches as specified in IEC 60512 have been implemented.
The following items have been updated with respect to the first edition:
- test methods were reviewed for detailed description;
- the explanation for the test method of the operating force was rewritten in more detail;
- the test voltage for measurement for contact bounce was reviewed;
- the electrical endurance "ON" duration in the duty cycle was harmonized with IEC 61058;
- the requirements for fire hazards have been deleted;
- testing methods of surface mounting switches based on the Japanese industrial standard were added.